Overcoming falls and setbacks enroute to success is the stuff of Olympic champions. Coupling that with the influence of a mom on the journey is the stuff of life.
Moms and success is why P & G produced their 2014 Olympic ad, “Thank You Mom.” Its already had over 20 million views on YouTube.
Each time I’ve watched the video I can’t help but think of how moms have shaped champions through their everyday interactions with their children. In the moment, kids have no way of appreciating the way a mom can allow pain or even bring pain for their greater good.
The message makes me think of how God has interacted with my life. (Skip to the video below or take 60 seconds to read how God’s character is reflected in the influence of moms.)
God is a risk taker – just like a mom.
God risks allowing disappointment, discouragement and even despair into our lives.
God let’s us fall.
God let’s us fail.
Sound crazy? Painful, but not crazy.
God’s hope is that in learning to get up after we fall that we can become stronger. That purpose is usually under-appreciated.
Strength comes from flexibility, resilience and tenacity – three qualities of good mental health.
1. FLEXIBILITY – Flexibility comes from knowing that change is a part of life. Adapting to changes will help you make the most of your life.
2. RESILIENCE – Resilience comes from encouraging yourself to get back up anytime you get knocked down. To know that tough times never last but tough people do.
3. TENACITY – Tenacity is the ability to push through a struggle knowing that, in the long run, its more painful to quit than to carry on.
My son teaches High School students about mental health. He noted that the educational system tends to protect students from adversity. The system fails at holding students accountable for failure.
God doesn’t mind allowing us to experience testing, trouble and even temptation which can result in momentary failures.
“No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he’ll never let you be pushed past your limit; he’ll always be there to help you come through it.“ (1 Corinthians 10:5 – The Message)
We may fall, but God will never let us down by refusing to help us back up. There is no life choice that is beyond redemption. There is no action that is unpardonable in God’s eyes. Faith in God will help you come through.
“For teaching us that falling only makes us stronger. For giving us the encouragement to try again. Thank you, God and Moms.”
APPLICATION: Did you like the video? Please leave a comment below.
Pointes of View exists in order to help people grow their faith in Jesus, build healthy relationships and effectively live out their purpose.
- Subscribe. You’ll get helpful content in your email box on Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. Daily tweets with info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “Friend” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.