I have decided. Three powerful words that will change your life. Decisions are the turning point of destiny. Deciding to follow Jesus is followed by being baptized in water.
4 Reasons Why Baptism is Important
1. Public acknowledgement of Jesus is important to God. Jesus said, “Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.” Matthew 10:32 (NLT)
Water Baptism gives a Christian a singular opportunity to practice obedience, worship, and devotion to Jesus.
“I have decided to follow Jesus. No turning back.”
2.Baptism is for believers in Jesus Christ. It’s call “believer’s baptism” to distinguish from infant baptism or christening.
Baptism doesn’t make a person into a Christian. The New Testament pattern of baptism is believe and be baptized.
Baptism helps you identify with two significant experiences:
* Going under the water symbolizes Jesus’ death and burial and a believer’s death to sin’s control.
* Emergence from the water symbolizes Jesus’ resurrection and a believer’s new life in Christ.
We encourage children who have believed on Jesus to not wait until they are older to be baptized. With their parents approval and support, baptism is valuable experience for children to have.
3. Jesus told His followers to be baptized. Water Baptism provides an opportunity for every believer to publicly show they are following Jesus’ leadership.
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit…” (Matthew 28:19, NIV)
4. Baptism was normative for every new believer in the New Testament. The first Christians thought it inconceivable that someone could profess faith in Jesus Christ and not be baptized – the two were inseparable.
Immediate baptism provided a rich explanation of God’s work in the life of the new believer. “But when they believed Philip as he preached the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.” (Acts 8:12, NIV)
Most of the time a pastor does the baptizing. Sometimes a parent will assist in baptizing their child. We’ve had whole families be baptized together.
Getting baptized? Invite your family and friends to witness and celebrate with you.
APPLICATION: Have you believed on Jesus? Have you been baptized in water as a believer? We would be glad to help you take this next step in your journey of faith.
Hope grows here. We share stories that inspire people, build faith, and offer lasting purpose.
We’d love to have you Subscribe to REVwords. We’ll put helpful content into your inbox early Mondays to get your week off to a good start.
When my son and my grandsons were baptised in water, it was one of the joys in my life.
A wonderful memory.
The explanation of a Christian’s water baptism gives them an opportunity to practice obedience, worship and devotion to Jesus is so clear. Thank you.