The Bible is a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, and a person who walks on water – who wouldn’t want to read it?
There are lots of things in the Bible for you, including the power to change your thinking, your beliefs, your future, your health and your relationships.
FIVE REASONS TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE BIBLE
1. The Bible heals broken hearts. There’s a story of a rabbi who always told his people that if they studied the Torah, it would put Scripture ON their hearts. One of them asked, “Why on our hearts, and not in them?” The rabbi answered, “Only God can put Scripture inside. But reading sacred text can put it on your heart, and then when your hearts break, the holy words will fall inside.”
Psalm 107:20 (ESV) states, “God sent out His word and healed them and delivered them from their destruction.”
2. The Bible is unlike any other piece of written work. The Bible did not drop out of the sky from God – it was written by people. Before the Bible was a book it was flesh and blood.
The Bible was written by people who were inspired by God.
Biblical inspiration is not like being inspired to write a poem or a song.
Biblical inspiration claims to be “God-breathed.” (2 Timothy 3:16)
That’s a heavy claim. Think about it.
3. The Bible is timeless and reliable. Great pieces of literature may endure for centuries. The Bible is timeless. The words of the Bible are as life giving today as they were when they were first written.
“…the prophetic message is something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it…” (2 Peter 1:19)
4. The Bible is the story of God. From Genesis to Revelation, you can read the story of a God who creates, acts, speaks, listens and loves.
As much as the Bible is a story about God, it’s also a story about you – and all of us – as we encounter God in a personal way.
5. The Bible sheds light on human nature, world problems and human suffering. The Bible is not an answer book…but you can find answers for any life or world situation in the Bible.
God is never put off by questions but sometimes He answers by merely revealing Himself…that is answer enough.
The Book of Job is a great example. Job experienced the fulfillment of a large family and personal achievement. He was the wealthiest man alive. He also experienced some of the worst prolonged suffering. The phrase, “The patience of Job” comes from his life.
Job prayed to God for an answer to his suffering. Rather than an answer God revealed Himself to Job and that was more than answer enough.
At North Pointe we use the YouVersion App for daily Bible reading. Learn more here.
A Free Mobile Bible Reading Plan for 2016
A COURSE ON THE BIBLE
I have developed a course called: “The Bible: What’s In It For Me?” The next 6 week course begins Thursday October 6, 2016 at North Pointe.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
- understand why the Bible is the most modern book in the world.
- gain a panoramic view of the Bible.
- become familiar with the major themes.
- have a greater interest in reading the Bible.
- become familiar with fourteen significant portions.
- gain more takeaways about Jesus from your reading.
$20 – includes course text – “The Handbook to the Bible”
APPLICATION: Enquire about the course by emailing email@example.com, leaving a comment below or calling 780-452-5566. Thank you.
I write to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box on Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.
I could not exist, live, be happy, feel sad and comforted at the same time, learn, pray, care, love etc., without my bible. It helps me in the darkness what I knew in the light. It is the light of God that dispels the darkness of this world. It lifts my spirit and teaches me. It lifts me up when man puts me down. It is precious, more precious than gold or silver. It is a sword that fights principalities in high places for me. It gives me courage and hope when I need to realize some things are only for a time because God is in control. It shows me that God is faithful. It shows me that He gave His son so that I may be forgiven and have eternal life. It shows me that God is not a respecter of persons, nations and He looks upon the heart and not the outward appearance. He is my creator and I thank Him, praise Him, worship Him and love Him.
The Bible is God’s Word which is living and powerful. It has changed my life. It is healing and inspiring. There is humor and drama. There is love, peace, hope and faith. It is interesting and can be read over and over many times. You can learn something new and/or gain new perspectives each time.
It is awesome and amazing. I am a reader and I never get tired of, or lose interest in reading my Bible. Whenever I need an answer for something I can’t find anywhere else, I know I can find it in my Bible. I have just started reading the Bible Handbook which I love already. I am looking forward to reading through it.
I can say a hearty “Amen” to all you’ve shared!
So true isn’t it…you can read the same portion of Scripture at different times and see something unique each time you read it. Its like the many faces of a diamond – a diamond looks like one precious jewel, but its composed of many faces which give the diamond its beauty.