Do you ever just feel so hurried you don’t even know what to do? If I’m not careful, my schedule can get out of control – and fast. I’m sure you know the feeling (especially at Christmastime).
It seems leaders online have their complex life more together than mine. All day long, I’m bombarded with subtle messages telling me to do more and be more to more people in more ways.
Distraction Is A Thief
As a culture, we are hurried, worried and distracted.
Distraction is par for the course – but it robs you of a deeper relationship with God.
Years ago the youth ministry I was leading quadrupled in size in just six months. Growth came at a price. My body reacted by shutting down – I bolted upright in the middle of the night gasping for air. I thought I was dying.
The experience wasn’t isolated – it happened EVERY night for over two months. My doctor diagnosed it as a reaction to stress.
I thought it would never end. My turning point came when I realized that in the self-imposed press and stress of serving the Lord I had slacked on being with the Lord. On a cold January afternoon in my cramped, basement office at church I made things right with God.
When I awoke the next day I realized it was the first time in weeks I had slept peacefully through the night. My days since then have started with time for the Bible and prayer (and coffee).
Looking back I know it was a pivot point for me. That was more than thirty years ago, but it set my life on a different trajectory.
I don’t know what stage of life you find yourself in.
Perhaps you are newly married or a recent parent trying to figure things out.
Maybe you are new to the work force and to leadership.
Some of you have kids who are grown who now have kids of their own.
But regardless of where you find yourself, know this: You are not alone in the challenges of your season, and you need God’s presence in your life to do your season well.
Gatekeeper Of Your Soul
And if you are anything like I was, that means you’ll need to make some changes. Start by answering these probing questions:
* Am I focusing on the right things? Is honoring God my first choice?
* Am I choosing carefully what – and who – I allow in to my soul? What distractions are drawing me away from God’s purposes for me today?
* Is God keeping my heart and mind, quiet and at rest through prayer rather than worry?
APPLICATION: Did this post resonate with you? Are you hurried? Worried? Distracted? How do you feel God is leading you to make room for Him? Please leave a comment below. Thank you for making time to share.
I write to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box early Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.