Become a leader worth following.
Chick-fil-A Leadercast reached out to over 120,000 leaders around the world in over 750 locations. Our team at North Pointe hosted one of those sites. Leadercast is a movement that is changing the way the world thinks about leadership by building leaders worth following.
The following are quotes from Andy Stanley, Dr Henry Cloud, Archbishop Desmond TuTu, Laura Schroff, Malcolm Gladwell and Simon Sinek
Andy Stanley – Becoming a “Beyond You Leader”
1. Just because I can, doesn’t mean I have to make all the decisions.
2. Start saying, “You decide.”
3. We celebrate generosity but we envy accumulation.
4. Work for your team. “What can I do to help?”
5. My responsibility is not to fill anybody’s cup.
6. Look for opportunities to fill other people’s cups.
7. One of the most empowering things you can do is to empty your cup.
8. Start leading before you are the boss.
9. If your leadership isn’t all about you it will live beyond you.
10. If your leadership is all about you it will not live on in any other way than as a bad example of leader.
Henry Cloud – Creating a Wake
11. A leader leaves a wake behind them in every interaction.
12. Your wake affects results and relationships.
13. Trust is vital for influence
14. Are you for me or against me? Leaders fail by falling on middle ground.
15. You build trust to the degree that people you lead feel you are connected to them.
16. The human heart wants to be known and understood.
17. You understand your people when they understand that you understand.
18. What is the big reason why you do what you do?
19. Opportunity always comes where passion and what you’re good at changes lives in some way.
20. If your influence is going to go past you there must be something in you to go past you.
21. What you have control of drives results.
22. Leaders must be able to give up control.
Archbishop Desmond Tutu – Honouring Nelson Mandela
23. Nelson Mandela is the best place to start a discussion about selfless leadership.
24. Mandela’s extraordinariness can be put down to one word: magnanimity.
25. Mandela emerged from 27 years in prison with a freedom from anger.
26. Mandela displayed no spite, no resentment.
27. Mandela understood the recipe required to transform South Africa without violence.
28. A person is a person through other persons.
29. I need others to help me become person.
30. Regardless of your status it is an inescapable fact that we are made for each other.
31. We are made for dependent one on another.
32. I am because of you. We are brothers and sisters of one family.
33. If you are neutral in situations of injustice you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
34. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
Laura Schroff – Beyond You Moments
35. “Excuse me lady, do you have any spare change, I’m hungry?” The question that would change my life.
36. Maurice Mazyck, and I were destined to meet – September 1, 1986 – on the corner of 56th Street and Broadway in New York City.
37. Maurice was an 11 year-old-panhandler, homeless and scruffy begging for change so he could eat. I passed him by…and then came back.
38. Maurice thought my kindness came with a price.
39. Our bond grew over a quarter of a century.
40. The best way you can find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.
41. Having a trusted friend, for children like Maurice, is not always a part of their hard, complicated world.
42. Lunch in a brown paper means: “Someone cares about me.” The bag is paper. What is put inside is called love.
43. An amazing gift: How to see beyond my own self.
44. When you give kindness and expect absolutely nothing in return you can receive the most valuable gifts of all.
45. What brings me so much joy is how Maurice’s cycle has been broken – a life free of hunger, drugs and violence.
46. The beauty of life is that inside disappointments are hidden the most miraculous of blessings. What we lose and what we might have been pales against what we have.
47. If love is the greatest gift of all then the greatest privilege of all is to be able to love someone.
48. An invisible thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break.
Malcolm Gladwell – Leadership Legitimacy
49. When people in authority want the rest of us to behave, it matters — first and foremost — how they behave.
50. Responsibility starts at the top.
51. Leaders must establish legitimacy.
52. The principle of legitimacy is based on three things, (1) people need to feel they have a voice, (2) predictability and (3) fairness.
53. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today.
Simon Sinek – The Feeling of Leadership
54. A leader doesn’t lose people to save the numbers. A leader loses the numbers to save their people.
55. We react to the environment we are in. Does your organization breed insecurity?
56. Do you believe in head counts or heart counts?
57. Its better for all of us to suffer some, than some of us to suffer all.
58. “Leaders go first” and “Officers eat last” are not contrary maxims.
59. There is really only one characteristic that leaders need: Courage.
60. Leadership is a risk.
61. Leaders want to see their people grow up. This is the feeling of leadership.
Sign up for Leadercast NOW a year round resource where you will receive access to all of the Leadercast 2014 and 2013 talks plus daily videocasts on Leadership. Get a 12 month subscription. Use access code LCN300
Application: Which statement means the most to you?
Looking forward to emptying my cup and being a “beyond you” leader worth following! Leadercast was awesome and inspiring! Great day!
Glad you had such a great day. You are a leader worth following!
Leadercast was awesome! All speakers exceptionally inspiring and motivated leaders with a true heart for God. PB..you drive a hard bargain. I like all 61!!. I have to say that #’s 7,8,9,17, and 61 resonates well with me. Emptying my cup was my style of leadership. I’ve always felt the longevity of a company is essential to future generations to ensure security for young families.
I’m glad you enjoyed Leadercast. After leading for 35 years there are still things I need to learn and change about my own leadership values. It was a great day. Glad you like all 61. 🙂
Thank you for hosting Leadercast again. You and your team did an awesome job (as always!) North
Pointe continues to invest in leaders. Thank you.
This was a Great Summary! You captured my favourites. 4 more of my takeaway quotes of the day were (making 65):
· “The value of a life is always measured by how much was given away.” – Andy Stanley
· “I may not be the solution… but I am part of the solution.” – Andy Stanley
· “You understand people only when they understand you understand them.” – Dr. Henry Cloud
· “When Danger threatens, it is a leaders instinct to protect their people.” – Simon Sinek
It posted me as guest?