Can there be faith after religion? Quotes from Bruxy Cavey to help you think about Jesus, faith, religion and you.
11 Thoughts From Bruxy Cavey
1. “Jesus did not come to offer an alternative religion but an alternative to religion. He did not call people to leave one lifeless shell for another but to live life beyond the borders of religious rules, regulations, rituals, and routines.”
2. “For too long, people have assumed that religion is how we connect with God and relationship is how we connect with people. The original lesson of the Bible is that our connection with God should be a lot more like our relationships with other people – intimate, unscripted, authentic.”
3. “The Jesus of the Bible lived by a simple philosophy: if love guides our hearts, rules become redundant. Love, embraced as a principles of other-centeredness, will always lead us to do the right thing.”
4. “Jesus’ message of God’s love was radically inclusive in a world where religions were anything but. … Jesus invited his own people to give up their claims of exclusivity and to join him in ushering in the universal sisterhood and brotherhood that faith can bring.”
5. “When any system of salvation or organization of belief becomes our conduit to God, it is not a large step for that system to become our God.”
Jesus Laid Down His Life For You
6. “… the enemy is not tradition itself but the complete dependence upon tradition and routine to the point where we disengage from thoughtful, purposeful, intentional intimacy.”
7. “God’s light overcomes all darkness. But light also creates shadows… whenever we put obstacles, including ourselves, in the way of others.”
8. “In Jesus, God acts through his speech. And he speaks thru his actions. Nothing is wasted.”
9. “Jesus laid down his life FOR us, so he could give his life TO us, so he could change the world THROUGH us.”
10. “In the Gospel witness of Acts, Hell is never mentioned. The early Church helped people run toward someONE rather than away from someTHING.”
11. May we love as we have been loved…
EROS: All take.
PHILIA: Give & take.
AGAPE: All give.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son.
All quotes courtesy of Bruxy Cavey, teaching pastor of “The Meeting House,” including some from “The End Of Religion: Encountering the Subversive Spirituality of Jesus.”
Which quote(s) caught your attention? Please leave a comment below.
Hope grows here. We share stories that inspire people, build faith, and offer lasting purpose.
We’d love to have you Subscribe to REVwords. We’ll put helpful content into your inbox early Mondays to get your week off to a good start.