Muslims respectfully refer to Christians as “people of the Book” – pointing to the Bible. Bruxy Cavey takes exception to that. He says that Christians are actually people of the Person – Jesus. Cavey’s latest book, (re)union lifts up Jesus – for seekers, saints and sinners.
Neon For Jesus
Bruxy Cavey says he’s in the ministry of busting up stereotypes while his flowing hair and trimmed beard give him a stereotypical, Jesus-like persona. He is a mega-pastor – the teaching pastor of the multi-site Meeting House in Oakville, Ontario and one the most influential followers of Jesus in Canada – if not the world.
In the 80’s, Timothy Bruce – aka Bruxy – was a youth favorite, sans beard, sporting long blond locks and touring through Ontario and Quebec with the Christian mime group Neon. He’s served as a pastor in a Baptist and an Anabaptist church and has deep Brethern roots.
Bruxy is family – and a mentor in following Jesus.
A Pastor Set Apart
Peter Schuurman wrote his doctoral thesis on Bruxy. He says Cavey “has successfully distanced himself from clean-cut, angry evangelicals who seek to legislate their morality through political means by his rhetoric, appearance, and theology.”
Bruxy purposed his new book around the prayer that its content would help readers get to know not only about Jesus but to know Jesus – God’s full revelation of Himself.
All Jesus – All The Time
“The message of Jesus changed the world . . . until the world changed the message. But I’m happy to say that there is a growing movement of truth-seekers and Jesus-lovers who are calling for a return to the first and foundational good news message of Jesus. This book is inspired by them, and it is an invitation to join their ranks.”
When you want to know what God looks like, look at Jesus.
When you want to know how to live, look to Jesus.
When you want to understand the Bible, look for Jesus.
10 Favorite Quotes From (Re)union
1. “The Bible is not a painting to be looked at but a window to be looked through and through that window we see Jesus.”
2. “Christ-followers believe in the inerrant, infallible and authoritative Word of God – and his name is Jesus.”
3. “We learn in the Bible that Jesus wants us to move beyond just learning in the Bible.”
4. “Read the Bible to learn about Jesus. Follow Jesus. Rinse and repeat.”
5. “Like kites we weren’t made for complete detachment. We need (re)union with God.”
6. “Trying to figure out how to be a good Christian while obeying the Bible’s rules is exhausting, even soul crushing.”
7. “When we pursue the rules instead of the Ruler…we’re not getting closer to God.”
8. “Jesus came to lead us into an intimate experience with God, a kind of reunion with God through our union with Christ.”
9. “‘A minute to learn a lifetime to master’ could also describe the good news of Jesus.”
10. “Thankfully the good news is that once upon a time God went beyond words and sent His Word to us in human form.”
More from Bruxy...
11 Thoughts On Life Without Religion
“If people can have a clear vision of Jesus they’ll have that “aha!” moment. So we want to let church get out of the way so they can meet Jesus.” Do you agree with Bruxy? Please leave a comment below. Thank you.
Hope grows here. We share stories that inspire people, build faith, and offer lasting purpose.
We’d love to have you Subscribe to REVwords. We’ll put helpful content into your inbox early Mondays to get your week off to a good start.