The Day of Pentecost is known as the birthday of the Church.
The Holy Spirit is the gift given to everyone who comes to the party.
God The Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit is not an “it” – the Holy Spirit is a person.
The Holy Spirit is God. Eternal and holy. Omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent.
He has emotions, a mind and a will. He is my Counselor.
Power For Witness
Pentecost is about power. “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you.”
Power is for witness. “You will be my witnesses.” The Book of Acts abounds with stories of miracles – witnesses to the power of Jesus’ name.
I need the power of the Holy Spirit.
The gift of the Holy Spirit is given liberally. Sons, daughters, men, women, Jews, Gentiles – everyone who calls on the name of the Lord.
Jesus said, “Your Father in heaven will give the Holy Spirit to those who ask.”
Ask is not beg. Ask is about perseverance in prayer – what saints of old called “tarrying.”
4 Observations About The Spirit
1. The church of Jesus Christ is a place where every single person matters.
Am I serving God through the power of the Spirit? Am I exercising the gifts of the Spirit in my life?
2. Christians are meant to live in the presence and power of the Holy Spirit.
Am I relying on the power of God’s Spirit? Am I an open channel for the Spirit’s gifts? Am I attentive to the guidance of the
Holy Spirit? Is the fruit of the Spirit growing in my life?
3. The community of God’s people is central to God’s work in the world.
Will I renew my commitment to live as a member of the body of Christ? Will I use my gifts to share the love and mercy of
Jesus with my neighbors?
4. The Holy Spirit breaks down walls and builds bridges.
Am I rejecting and repentant of any prejudice that is within me? Is my heart open to all people, especially those who do not
share my language and culture?
“There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.” Galatians 3:28
The Holy Spirit And Me
APPLICATION: Ask God to fill you with the Holy Spirit so that you might participate fully in the ministry of Jesus.
I write to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box on Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.