A friend answered opportunity’s knock in 2012, and followed her dream to study medicine in London, England. It meant she had to stop believing she couldn’t cope without friends, familiarity and her usual routine. In the long run she not only received an education, she found a lifetime partner while in England. They were married in April 2014.
I am so happy that Jocelyn and I didn’t wait until retirement to start traveling. With COVID’s affects on the travel industry, international travel may be a thing of the past. And if that is the case, we would have had some big regrets. Are there things or ways of thinking you need to stop now so that you can start something great?
Stopping some things you think you can’t live without can be the start of something that shows you the life you always wanted.
8 Things Your Future Self Will be Glad You Stopped Doing
1. Putting off the so-called “trip of a lifetime” for another year, because you assume you have another year.
2. Delaying to tell the ones you love, how much you love them often enough because you assume there’s always tomorrow.
3. Sticking it out in a miserable job and situations because you’re afraid of the risk of stepping out.
4. Refusing to reach high enough or far enough because you’re worried you’ll fail.
5. Worrying about the trivial to the neglect of the most precious thing you have: moments you’ll never see again.
6. Talking of killing time, passing time, and getting through the week, forgetting you’re wishing away the moments that comprise your life.
7. Saying “time is money” when in fact the time you have is ALL you have. Money can be borrowed, time can’t.
8. Fearing risk, unaware that the biggest risk you run is playing it safe. And then it’s too late.
Whatever your dream is, find a way to make it happen.
No one is going to live your life on your behalf. And one day soon – because it’ll seem that way – your candle will burn out.
Let it burn hot and bright while it’s still lit. Let it light fires and set others ablaze.
Life is short.
Live it now.
Live it with all your strength and passion, now.
Don’t keep it in reserve against a day you might never have.
While the ember is still lit, fan it to flame.
Be bold about it.
Now is all you have, and your dreams won’t chase themselves.
good deed do you need to do today?
act of forgiveness?
step of faith?
prayer should you pray?
habit must be broken?
habit must be started?
call must you make?
email must you write?
relationship must you repair?
dream should you be pursuing so your future self will thank you?
What is it that is keeping you from your dream? What are you going to stop doing today so you can have a better tomorrow?
Please join the conversation and post something you stopped or need to stop at the bottom of this page.
Hope grows here. You’ll find stories that inspire, build faith, and offer lasting purpose.
We’d love to have you Subscribe to REVwords. Helpful content will arrive in your inbox early Mondays to get your week off to a thoughtful start.